Quote:

Never judge a book by its movie.

J.W. Eagan

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

week 7 #17 Technology (Its All Rocket Science To Me)

When I was growing up, back in the 60's, we lived way out in the country. Most people out there had what they called "party lines". It is 1 phone line shared By 2 to 3 households. If someone was out on the road, you just had to wait for them to arrive to their destination to contact them, and that was if the phone line was free! It is amazing how much has changed since then. First there were pagers, and then car phones, and now the ever popular CELL PHONE. What a phenomenon! The capability of its technology seems limitless. Engineers have developed a system for taking anonymous cell phone location information and turning it into positioning data to report traffic congestion on the roads. Who would have thought that a million men's phone calls could be one big traffic report for us all.

http://www.physorg.com/news76178303.html

2 comments:

Just Do IT! said...

I, too, remember the "party line" and having to wait till the line was clear. I also recall wondering how my neighbor was able to talk on her phone while unloading groceries from her car. How we have progessed in just a few decades. Look at me now! Online commenting on a coworkers statement while watching one of my favorite shows, "Murder She Wrote." I surprise myself at times but still have a long way to go before I am a techie.

AJM said...

Carrie,

That's super interesting...I want to hear more about these "Party Lines"...That term def has an an entirely diff meaning today :)